9.a month of Sundays 很久,很长时间
一个月有28日至31日,“一个月的星期日”就意味着连续三十个星期。另一种解释是:一星期有七天,“一个月的星期日”可能意味着四个星期。总之,这个成语喻指“很长的时间”。例:He could easily have revenged himself by giving me a kick with heavy shoes on the head or the loins that would have spoiled my running for a month of Sundays.(他若要报仇,那很容易,只要用其沉重的靴尖向我头部或腰部一踢,就可使我长时间不能行走。)
A: How about this work? 这个工作怎样?
B: I think it will take me a month of Sundays to finish. 我想得花很长时间才能完成它。
A: You will have a long time to be very busy, right? 你又会忙一段时间了,是吗?
B: Yeah. To be very tired, too. 就是,也会很累。
A: In some way, it is good for us because we can learn lots of things from it. 在某种程度上,这对我们有好处,因为我们能从中学到很多东西。
10.a red carpet welcome 隆重的欢迎
在欢迎接贵宾时,人们通常都会在路上铺红地毯,因此铺了红地毯的欢迎就很隆重了。
A: How can they be so cold to me? 他们怎么能对我这么冷淡!
B: Then what are you expecting? A red carpet welcome? 那你还想怎么着?让他们列队欢迎你?
A: Not exactly, but at least they should be friendly to me. 倒也不是,至少他们得对我友好一点儿吧。
B: Don’t take it too much to heart. You will find them very helpful when you need them. 别太放在心上。你会发现用得着他们的时候他们还是挺帮忙的
11. a rule of thumb 单*经验或实践的方法;粗略而简便的方法
该语的字面意思是“大拇指的规则”,实际意义为“(根据实际经验和实践的)对事物粗略但实用的估计方法”。其出典有两种说法:一说源自旧时用拇指大略计算长度的做法;另一种说法源自昔日酿酒工人将拇指浸在所酿酒中估计温度的做法。
A: Do you think it’s a good idea to buy some traveler’s checks? 你认为买旅行支票是个好办法吗?
B: Definitely! Don’t carry large amounts of cash with you when you’re traveling. We have a rule of thumb: never carry around any more cash than you can afford to have stolen. To be on the safe side, you’d better ask for smaller denominations: $20 or $50. 没错。旅行时不要随身带大额现金。我们有个经验之法:随身携带的钱要适量,丢了不要紧。为了稳妥起见,你最好要小面额的:20或者元。
A: I was told that if you use traveler’s checks, you don’t countersign the check until the clerk in the store is watching you. 我听说在使用旅行支票时,要当着商店售货员的面签字。
B: Yes, you’ve got it. 你说得对。
12. a top banana 首领,掌权者
top banana主要用于美国俚语中,指“主要演员(尤指喜剧中),最重要的人物”。
A: The top banana asked you to fax this to the US office. 头儿让你把这个传真到美国的办事处。
B: Is this urgent? 急件吗?
A: Yes. 没错。
13. across the board 全面地
该习语的意思是“包括一切的,全面的”。例如:We’re aiming to increase productivity across the board.(我们旨在全面提高产量。)该习语还可以用来指“(赛马、赛狗等打赌时)押前三名”。
A: Do you know the last news? 你知道最新消息吗?
B: No, what? 不知道,什么呀?
A: We asked for a pay increase of 5% across the board yesterday. 昨天我们要求全部加薪5%。
B: Did the boss agree with you? 老板同意了?
A: No. He said they’d discuss it at the board meeting. 没有。他说要在董事会上讨论。
B: That’s just an alibi. 那是他的借口。
14. add up to 合计达;总括起来意味着
此语本义指“合计为”,在日常生活中多用喻义,即“总括起来意味着”。有时为了进一步强调,亦作all add up to。在使用中应注意与“add up”一词的区别。“add up”本指“把 … 加起来”,如:add up a column of figures(把一栏数字加起来);其喻义为“言之有理,说得通”,如:The facts just don’t add up.(这些事情合计起来不对头。)
A: The cashier said he had locked the safe before he left. 出纳说他走时把保险柜锁上了。
B: But how did the money disappear from it if it was locked? 如果锁上了那钱怎么没的?
A: I just wonder … 我只是奇怪 …
B: What do you think it all adds up to? 你想这一切意味着什么?
A: It adds up to the fact that we have been cheated. 意味着我们被骗了。
15. agree to differ 求同存异
agree to differ指的是“各自保留不同意见(不再说服对方)”,意即“求同存异”。
A: What do you mean? 你是什么意思?
B: Considering the major contracts they might give us, I overlooked the small loss. 考虑到他们可能与我们签订大宗合同,小小的损失我就忽略不计了。
A: So you agreed to differ? 所以你就求同存异?
B: That’s right. 没错。
16.all told 合计;总之
此语原义为“总计,合计”,引申为“总之”。如:All told,it was a great credit to them.(总之,这给他们大大增了光。)此语同in all同义。
A: How many people attended today’s meeting? 有多少人参加了今天的会议?
B: There were seventeen of us at the meeting, all told. 一共有十七个人。
A: Issue an announcement that if somebody doesn’t attend meeting next time, his or her bonus will be deducted. 发布一则通知,就说如果有人下一次不参加会议,他或她的奖金全扣。
B: Yes. 好的。
