44)reach the bottom of the barrel用完,弹尽粮绝
Model:
——Don't you have any other clean shirts? (你还有其它干净衬衫吗?)
——I guess I've reached the bottom of the barrel. (我想我已经用完了。)
45)rub sb. the wrong way使(某人)有点恼火;惹怒;引起反感;烦扰,打搅
Model:
——What do you think of our new economics instructor? (你觉得新经济学老师怎么样?)
——I don't know. Something about him rubs me the wrong way. (不知怎么的,他有点让我反感。)
46)scratch the surface只懂皮毛,很不了解(通常和限制性副词如only, hardly等词连用)
Model:
——You've certainly done a lot of research for your project.(你显然对你的课题做了不少研究。)
——It seems like a lot, but actually I've only scratched the surface. (看上去不少,但事实上我只懂一些毛皮。)
47)up in the air尚未决定的;捉摸不定的;悬而未决的
Model:
——Her plans for the weekend are still up in the air. (她尚未决定如何度过这个周末。)
48)wear and tear磨损;消耗
Model:
——Why do you always put on slippers when you go into your apartment? (为什么你老是一进公寓就穿上拖鞋?)
——It saves wear and tear on the carpet. (拖鞋不磨损地毯。)
49)with flying colors大获全胜;胜利地
Model:
——How did Ellen do on her Ancient History exam? (Ellen古代史考得怎么样?)
——She passed with flying colors. (她考得好极了。)
