24
Do not keep to yourself the secret of your heart, my friend!
不要把你心的秘密藏起,我的朋友!
Say it to me, only to me, in secret.
对我说吧,秘密地对我一个人说吧。
You who smile so gently, softly whisper, my heart will hear it, not my ears.
你这个笑得这样温柔、说得这样轻软的人,我的心将听着你的语言,不是我的耳朵。
The night is deep, the house is silent, the birds' nests are shrouded with sleep.
夜深沉,庭宁静,鸟巢也被睡眠笼罩着。
Speak to me through hesitating tears, through faltering smiles, through sweet shame and pain, the secret of your heart.
从踌躇的眼泪里,从沉吟的微笑着,从甜柔的羞怯和痛苦里,把你心的秘密告诉我吧!
25
"Come to us, youth, tell us truly why there is madness in your eyes?"
"到我们这里来吧,青年人,老实告诉我们,为什么你眼里带着疯癫?"
"I know not what wine of wild poppy I have drunk, that there is this madness in my eyes."
"我不知道我喝了什么野罂粟花酒,使我的眼带着疯癫。"
"Ah, shame!"
"呵,多难为情!"
"Well, some are wise and some foolish, some are watchful and some careless. There are eyes that smile and eyes that weep——and madness is in my eyes."
"好吧,有的人聪明有的人愚拙,有的人细心有的人马虎。有的眼睛会笑,有的眼睛会哭——我的眼睛是带着疯癫的。"
"Youth, why do you stand so still under the shadow of the tree?"
"青年人,你为什么这样凝立在树影下呢?"
"My feet are languid with the burden of my heart, and I stand still in the shadow."
"我的脚被我沉重的心压得疲倦了,我就在树影下凝立着。"
"Ah, shame!"
"呵,多难为情!"
"Well, some march on their way and some linger, some are free and some are fettered——and my feet are languid with the burden of my heart."
"好吧,有人一直行进,有人到外流连,有的人是自由的,有的人是锁住的——我的脚被我沉重的心压得疲倦了。"
26
"What comes from your willing hands I take. I beg for nothing more."
"从你慷慨的手里所付予的,我都接受。我别无所求。"
"Yes, yes, I know you, modest mendicant, you ask for all that one has."
"是了,是了,我懂得你,谦卑的乞丐,你是乞求一个人的一切所有。"
"If there be a stray flower for me I will wear it in my heart."
"若是你给我一朵残花,我也要把它戴在心上。"
"But if there be thorns?"
"若是那花上有刺呢?"
"I will endure them."
"我就忍受着。"
"Yes, yes, I know you, modest mendicant, you ask for all that one has."
"是了,是了,我懂得你,谦卑的乞丐,你是乞求一个人的一切所有。"
"If but once you should raise your loving eyes to my face it would make my life sweet beyond death."
"如果你只在我脸上瞥来一次爱怜的眼光,就会使我的生命直到死后还是甜蜜的。"
"But if there be only cruel glances?"
"假如那只是残酷的眼色呢?"
"I will keep them piercing my heart."
"我要让它永远穿刺我的心。"
"Yes, yes, I know you, modest mendicant, you ask for all that one has."
"是了,是了,我懂得你,谦卑的乞丐,你是乞求一个人的一切所有。"
