A
a bit 一点;一些
The modern opera was a bit of a disappointment; we expected it to be much better. 这部现代歌剧有点令人失望,比我们想象中的差得多。
I asked her to give me a hand but she's being a bit bolshy about it.
我请她过来帮忙,但她却有点不乐意。
I'm a little bit tired. Let's take a short rest.
我有点累了。让我们休息一会儿。
I'm a bit tired tonight. 今晚我有点疲倦。
The painting on the wall is a bit crooked.
墙上的油画有些歪。
Don't believe all he says — he's a bit of a boaster. 别全信他说的,他有点自吹自擂。
a body of 一片,一批;大量
a body of men(facts) 一批人(大量事实)
a couple of 两个,数个
a couple of socks 一双袜子
I have a couple of things to do.
我有几件事情要办。
I waited a couple of hours. 我等了几个小时。
add up to 总计;意味着
All this adds up to a new concept of the Universe.
Your long answer just adds up to a refusal.
a far cry 大不相同,悬殊;遥远的距离
It is a far cry from Beijing to New York.
a few几个,少数
Can you stay a few days longer?
你能多留几天吗?
Are you friends here? Yes, a few are here.
你的朋友们在这儿吗?有,有几个在这儿。
a good / great deal大量的,许多的
a great deal of support 大量援助
a good deal of trouble 大量麻烦
a good / great many相当多,很多
a little一些,少许;略微
There isn't much tea, but we only need a little for a cup of tea.
没有多少茶叶了,但是我们只需要一点儿泡杯茶。
He speaks a little Spanish.
他会讲一点西班牙语。
a lot很,非常
a lot of / lots of大量的,许多的
There was a lot of mud on the ground.
地上有许多泥。
I picked lots of flowers.
我摘了许多花。
He has quite a lot of friends.
他有很多朋友。
a series of一连串,一系列
He saw a series of white arrows painted on the road. 他看见马路上画有一连串白色箭头。
above all首先,尤其是
Above all, I love Tchaikovsky.
首先,我喜欢柴可夫斯基。
add up to总计;意味着
after all 终究;毕竟
It has turned out to be a nice day after all.
天气终于转晴了。
So you see I was right after all!
你看,毕竟还是我对吧!
ahead of 在…之前;早于
Our company is ahead of other makers of spare parts for the airplane.
我们公司制造飞机零部件比别家的业绩好。
all at once突然, 忽然
all but 差不多,几乎;除了…都
I all but stumbled. 我差一点摔跤。
That’s all but impossible.那几乎不可能。
The job is all but finished!
这工作差不多完成了!
all of a sudden突然
all over 到处,遍及;结束;(相貌)非常像
I’m wet all over. 我全身湿透。
It’s all over (with him).结束了(他完蛋了)。
I have looked all over for him.我到处找过他。
all right 令人满意的,不错的;(健康)良好的;行,可以
If it’s all right to you, it’s all right to me.
These clothes are all right for summer wear.
注意:all right to + 人
all right for + 事物
all the same依然,照样地
all the time一直,始终;三番五次地
allow for考虑;允许
We must allow for his inexperience.
我们必须考虑到他缺乏经验。
It takes about two hours to get to their office building, allowing for possible traffic delays. 考虑到路上可能遇到的交通耽搁,到他们的办公大楼大约要花费两小时。
and so on / forth等等
answer for对…负责
You’ll have to answer for your carelessness.
I will answer for the truth of what he has said. 我保证他所说的话是真的。
The bus driver should answer for the safety of the passengers.
公共汽车司机应对旅客的安全负责。
anything but绝不;一点也不;单单除…之外
I will do anything but go there.
我决不到那里去。
That's anything but true. 那决不是真的。
